How Does Data Visualization Hold Up As A Theory?

 Data Visualization, as an information design theory, almost seems bulletproof. In The Back of the Napkin, Dan Roam breaks down his 6 W's method and reveals how intuitive it was to use because it correlates exactly to the way that we see and make sense of the world. He then uses the 6 W's to SQVID, the 6 different ways that the data can be presented. Finally, the way to choose the presentation of the data is done according to Roam’s <6><6> Rule, “for every one of the six ways of seeing (6 W’s) there is one corresponding way of showing” (Roam 125). This all sounds like it could be adapted to any situation and any demographic.



However, like any of the other information design theories, there are cons present. The main one is so obvious that I almost feel weird mentioning it, but it lacks inclusivity. Data visualization, by relying on visuals, immediately excludes the visually impaired and/or blind. Again, this is obvious but is worth noting. 



For me, information design should be about making data and technology enhance our experiences and creativity. This means that it should mainly be focused with inclusivity. Of course total inclusivity is impossible, but there seems no way around this flaw.



The irony is not lost on me that my blog also suffers from data visualization’s problem. But there are ways around this like visual descriptions that could go along with my post. But this would defeat the purpose of Roam’s approach if we still had to entirely rely on words to elaborate on visuals. 



If I decided to use Roam’s approach in my blog, I would mainly depend on visuals to explain my point. I would first have to identify my 6 W’s. Then I would have to choose the right framework to present my picture/visual based on my audience. I think it would be safe to assume that because my audience are my fellow bloggers then they might respond to the same data visualization technique. I would probably respond more to a combination of frameworks. My blog posts will mostly be about explaining and analyzing information design and its applications, and these could be best viewed as questions of how something works and why it works the way it does, which means that my best bet would be to include a flowchart and/or a multiple-variable plot point. 



In the end, data visualization, when applied in the way that Dan Roam describes, can be a very effective theory to understand information design, but like the other theories, there is still more work to be





Works Cited

Roam, Dan. The Back of the Napkin: Expanded Edition. Penguin, 2009.

Dr. Abela. "Visualization Taxonomies." The Extreme Presentation(tm) Method, 16 June 2008, https://extremepresentation.typepad.com/blog/2008/06/visualization-taxonomies.html. Accessed 13 Feb. 2023.

Comments

Popular Posts